He was just 16 years old when he brought together a group of boys who loved music. Little did he know that one day, the small rag-tag bunch of boys would form a band that would evolve into The Beatles, one of the biggest and most important bands in the latter half of the 20th century. That boy was John Lennon.
The band became wildly successful but after years of enjoying the fame and fortune, Lennon decided to leave the group to follow a solo career. And he did so with the help of his second wife, Yoko Ono, according to Goal Cast.
With a powerful voice that could drag you into its depths, his second solo album “Imagine,” quickly became a commercial success. Sadly though, in 1980 Lennon was shot and killed outside of his apartment building in New York by a deranged fan. His passing shattered the hearts of millions of fans around the globe and it made a huge impact on pop culture.
But even today, there are far and few between who share a voice as passionate or heart-wrenching as Lennon's. And he may be gone, but he continues to inspire millions worldwide. Here are some of his quotes that urge us to live, love and most of all, believe in ourselves.
1. "When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life."
2. "Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream."
3. “If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create.”
4. "Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end."
5. “There’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be…”
6. “It matters not who you love, where you love, why you love, when you love or how you love, it matters only that you love.”
7. "When you do something beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun, every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps."
8. “I’m not afraid of death because I don’t believe in it. It’s just getting out of one car, and into another.”
9. "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."
10. “If everyone could just be happy with themselves and the choices people around them make, the world would instantly be a better place!"
11. "You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!"
12. “My role in society, or any artist’s or poet’s role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”
13. "A mistake is only an error, it becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."
14. “Trying to please everybody is impossible – if you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you. You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.”
15. "What we’ve got to do is keep hope alive. Because without it we’ll sink."
16. “Peace is not something you wish for; it’s something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away.”
17. “Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.”
18. “Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”
19. “Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.”
20. "I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It’s just that the translations have gone wrong."