Before the woman was declared dead, the paramedics performed CPR and other methods for half an hour in attempts to revive her.
Have you personally experienced or maybe heard of one of those incidents where you can't help but ask, "Is this for real?" This story is one such example. Before we move ahead, let us tell you that this tale is about a woman coming back to life after she was declared dead. Spooky, right? Well, not exactly.
A 20-year-old woman was found unresponsive by her family members on August 23 at her home in Southfield, according to Independent. Shocked by the sudden discovery, the family immediately called the emergency services who declared that there were no "signs of life." But life had other plans.
The Southfield Fire Department tried their best by performing life reviving techniques on the woman for 30 minutes but in vain. She was declared dead, reported WDIV.
The department issued a statement saying, "At 7:34 a.m. on August 23, 2020, Southfield Fire Department paramedics arrived at a home in Southfield on a call for an unresponsive female. When paramedics arrived, they found a 20-year-old who was not breathing. The paramedics performed CPR and other life reviving methods for 30 minutes. Given medical readings and the condition of the patient, it was determined at that time that she did not have signs of life.”
A spokesperson for the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, Bill Mullan revealed that an emergency room doctor was responsible for pronouncing the woman, reported People. The doctor had come to the conclusion through real-time medical data via phone like the heartbeat and breathing. The method is known as telemetry which is quite common, as stated by Mullan.
Declared by phone? Are you kidding me?— Whitney (@whitbenn) August 24, 2020
Based on the report created by the medical examiner, the department was asked to release the woman's body to the parents by the forensic pathologist, stating that there was no need for further examinations.
According to WDIV, Southfield Fire Department said in a statement, "Because there was no indication of foul play, as per standard operating procedure, the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office was contacted and given the medical data. The patient was again determined to have expired and the body was released directly to the family to make arrangements with a funeral home of their choosing."
The woman then was transported to James H.Cole Home for Funerals situated in Detroit, on the Schaefer Highway. According to the sources, she was moved to the home around 11:30 a.m. In a statement given to ABC News by the funeral home, they said, “We can confirm that on Sunday, 23 August 2020 we received a call to pick up a Southfield woman who was deceased,” reported Independent.
But to the shock of the staff members at the funeral home, who realized something that none of the others had noticed, the woman was still breathing. “After receiving clearance from the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s office she was transported to our funeral home. Upon her arrival at the funeral home, our staff confirmed she was breathing and called EMS," disclosed the funeral home to People. The woman was immediately taken to a hospital. Her condition is still unknown.
What kind of care are hospital giving by declaring someone dead while alive .. This is the treatment minorities receive?— Onelove WEAR A MASK (@onelove6113) August 24, 2020
Deputy commissioner of the Detroit Fire Department, Dave Fornell, said, “I talked to our medical people and they said she was breathing, she had a decent heart rate, she had decent blood-oxygen. But she was definitely alive when we got here there(sic)," according to the Independent.
According to WDIV, the fire department insisted that there was no foul play but if the sources are to be believed, the Southfield police had called the fire crew after they noticed the woman moving and breathing. However, the department claimed and shrugged it off as a side effect of the medication.
"In an effort to respect the privacy of her family, the Southfield Fire Department is not currently releasing personal information on the patient," said the statement released by the fire department. The incident is undergoing investigation for now.