The firefighter rushed to the house to put down the fire but was too late to save his wife.
Becoming a firefighter is not as easy as it seems. It requires an immense amount of hard work, extensive and long hours of training, and most importantly, a desire to be there for the people who are in need. There will be situations that are hard to forget but nothing can prepare anyone for a situation when trouble hits home.
Corey Logan has been working as a firefighter for the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue for more than 20 years but even after all his service, he couldn't believe the rescue call he received on November 10. It was the day his own house was blazing and trapped inside was his sick wife.
Corey had just finished having his lunch when a notification beeped on his phone where he could see his neighbor banging on his front door through the doorbell camera, distressed. It was enough for him to panic. Nothing seemed "alright" about the situation, according to Inside Edition.
He was more worried about the fact that his wife, who has been suffering from a medical condition for a long time was inside the house. When he received the ring notification, he rushed back home with one of his colleagues. Corey was the primary caretaker of his 47-year-old wife, Rose Logan.
Other firefighters too were notified that they had to respond to a house but the shock came when they realized it was Corey's house. All of them hurried to the scene that was along Northwest 12th Avenue.
Christopher Morales, Corey's co-worker and friend, who has set up a GoFundMe page for Corey, wrote, "After getting the notification we hopped on the rig and headed to his house lights and sirens. As we were couple of mins out a housefire was dispatched and it was his address that came over the air. He knew it immediately."
Corey had realized that what he's going to witness would be something he would never forget. His colleagues too felt the same. Christopher penned, "Unfortunately, when we arrived we had the worst-case scenario. There was heavy smoke and fire coming from his house w his wife inside. We did our job and put the fire out and searched as fast as we could but were too late."
The Miami Herald reported that the worried husband "was one of the first in. He was on the engine company that responded." As he worked on putting down the fire along with his co-workers and moved towards his bedroom, he was greeted with the heartwrenching sight of his wife who was still on the bed, but dead. She succumbed to the smoke and the blazing fire as she couldn't escape.
For Willie Robinson, a neighbor of the couple, they projected love. Talking to WSVN-TV, he said, "Most times, I see him taking care of her. Looked like true love to me."
Talking about the horrible tragedy, Christopher wrote on the fundraising page, "This is a Fireman's worst nightmare! Not only did he show up first to his house burning, but also lost the love of his life as a result of the fire as well. His whole world has been flipped upside down and he needs our help!"
Requesting for support for the grieving husband who lost everything, Christopher continued, "I am asking for any and everyone who can to help OUR BROTHER in this tragic time. He will need help with everything to get his life and family’s life back together. ANY donation amount will help and be appreciated to get him back on his feet as he deals w this tragedy. Please keep him and his family in your prayers as we help him navigate this unfortunate event. Thank you for your time and God Bless!!!"
The page has successfully raised $166,673 of the $200,000 goal (at the time of publication) for Corey. Officials have also confirmed the firefighter's tragic loss. As per New York Post, spokeswoman Erika Benitez said, "At this time, out of respect for the family, we kindly ask for privacy as they are dealing with this tragic loss. We thank you for your patience and cooperation as we are focusing on supporting our firefighter and their family."
We have received many inquiries regarding a fire that #MDFR responded to yesterday in Homestead. As many of you know, the fire happened at the residence of one of our firefighters and sadly, during this fire, his wife tragically passed away.— Miami-Dade Fire Rescue (MDFR) (@MiamiDadeFire) November 11, 2020