She left us too soon, but thankfully, she left us with words that inspire us to be the best versions of ourselves everyday.
There was just no one like her in Hollywood. Born Norma Jeane Mortenson, it was her stage name that was on the lips of nearly every person during the 1950s - Marilyn Monroe. From being called a sex symbol to being cast in roles of a dumb blonde too many times to count, it seemed that there was not much more to her than that. But Marilyn, far from being 'dumb', had very wise words to share with this world before she was gone.
Here are 25 quotes by the American actress on love, life, success and being a woman that will make you realize that you're just as strong as any other woman:
1. "Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
2. "We should all start to live before we get too old."
3. "One of the best things that ever happened to me is that I'm a woman. That is the way all females should feel."
4. “This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up.”
5. "We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."
6. "Men who think that a woman's past love affairs lessen her love for them are usually stupid and weak."
7. “I want to grow old without facelifts… I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I’ve made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you’d never complete your life, would you? You’d never wholly know you.”
8. “I always felt insecure and in the way, but most of all I felt scared. I guess I wanted love more than anything else in the world.”
9. “Respect is one of life’s greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don’t have that?”
10. "A wise girl knows her limits, a smart girl knows that she has none."
11. “I don’t forgive people because I’m weak, I forgive them because I am strong enough to know people make mistakes.”
12. "Fear is stupid. So are regrets."
13. “The most unsatisfactory men are those who pride themselves on their virility and regard sex as if it were some form of athletics at which you can win cups. It is a woman’s spirit and mood a man has to stimulate in order to make sex interesting. The real lover is the man who can thrill you just by touching your head or smiling into your eyes or by just staring into space.”
14. “Everybody is always tugging at you. They’d all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don’t think they realize it, but it’s like ‘grrr do this, grr do that…’But you do want to stay intact and on two feet.”
15. “Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you’re a human being, you feel, you suffer.”
16. "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
17. “Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn’t that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you.”
18. “No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they’re pretty, even if they aren’t.”
19. “A wise girl kisses but doesn’t love, listens but doesn’t believe, and leaves before she is left.”
20. “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.”
21. "I restore myself when I'm alone."
22. “It’s often just enough to be with someone. I don’t need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You’re not alone.”
23. “All a girl really wants is for one guy to prove to her that they are not all the same.”
24. "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best."
25. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.”